You are in: Home » Production information for authors
Production information for authors
Instructions for authors
Instructions on how to prepare a manuscript for submission to an IGS publication:
The Council of the IGS at its latest meeting in Beijing, China (29 July 2013) decided to offer authors a full ‘Gold Open Access’ option for the publication of their papers in all IGS publications. This option includes a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence.
Initially there will be a flat fee for this option of £2300, irrespective of the paper’s length. This charge is subject to review in the near future to take account of the number of pages in the article.
Those authors who do not select this option will be subject to the normal IGS publication and page-charge policy.
The new class file and authors' template/guide have been updated (September 2015).
To ensure smooth and swift peer review and production, please
- use igs2ejournalguide.tex or igs2eanalsguide.tex as both a template and a guide when writing your paper
- submit your paper as a single pdf file in [review] mode
- provide a single figure file for figures with several panels (i.e. avoid the use of \stfloat, \subfloat, etc.)
- avoid the use of colour or shading in tables
- do not define new commands, macros or shortcuts
- strip out unnecessary comments not part of the paper itself (e.g. deleted sections, tables or figures, previous drafts)
- ensure references are in the correct/precise IGS journal format in terms of order, emphasis and punctuations and that they include doi numbers where available (see the LaTeX template/guide for details)
Authors submitting in Word or similar
A template/guide is in preparation
- equations should be set in MathType or advanced equation editor. They should not be embedded as graphics
- switch off review/tracking modes
- tables should be in an text-editable format (i.e. not graphics)
Pre-submission English language editing
If English is not your first language and you are worried that your command of written English is not very good, please ask a friend or colleague with excellent English skills to check your paper before submission. This will speed up submission time considerably.
Alternatively, your manuscript can be professionally edited to improve the English before submission. Apply to the IGS office for details of professional copy editors who will be able to help. This service must be paid for by the author and does not guarantee acceptance.
- Preferred formats tif, eps (failing that the format in which the figure was created)
- Size 1-column width: up to 86 mm; 2-column width: up to 178 mm (no figure should exceed 178 mm width)
- Resolution 300 dots per inch for colour or half-tone; 600 dots per inch for grayscale line drawings
- Colour CMYK rather than RGB
- Labelling use SI units, round (not square) brackets around units and Optima, Ariel or similar sans serif font
Connect via standard FTP using the following details:
Username and password: Please contact the IGS Office if you do not have these.
Profiling selected papers to be published in the Journal
Please download the following blank forms with details of page charges