The International Glaciological Society was founded
in 1936 to provide a focus for individuals interested
in practical and scientific aspects of snow and ice.
The objects of the Society enshrined in its Constitution are to:
- Stimulate interest in and encourage research into the scientific and technical problems of snow and ice in all countries
- Facilitate and increase the flow of glaciological ideas and information
- Sponsor lectures, field meetings and symposia
- The Journal of Glaciology
- The Annals of Glaciology
- ICE, the News Bulletin of the International Glaciological Society
- Other appropriate publications, such as books and monographs
The members of the IGS are our backbone. We draw our expertise from individual members while supporting the glaciological community by organizing symposia and seminars, conferring awards and of course we publish our journals. In return our members receive a discount on ‘author processing charges’ (APCs) for our journals, reduced registration fees for IGS symposia but most importantly the chance to share their enthusiasm with a community of likeminded individuals who enjoy their science.
To help facilitate and increase the flow of glaciological ideas, information and encourage research, the International Glaciological Society produces the following publications:
Upcoming IGS Symposia and Events
Dorthe Dahl-Jensen Hans Oerlemans 2022 Balzan Prize for Glaciation and Ice-Sheet Dynamics IGS members Dorthe Dahl-Jensen and Hans Oerlemans have...
Nominations for the International Glaciological Society (IGS) Awards for 2022 are due 15 Nov 2022. The awards include: • The Seligman Crystal...