Founded in 1936 for everyone interested in the science of snow and ice
- The first circular for the IGS sponsored ‘International Symposium on Contemporary Ice-Sheet Dynamics: ocean interaction, meltwater and non-linear effects’ to be held in Cambridge, UK 17–22 August 2015 is now available on line.
- The current issue of ICE (issue 164) is available on line to members
- The second circular for the IGS sponsored ‘International Symposium on Glaciology in High-Mountain Asia’ to be held in Kathmandu, Nepal 1–6 March 2015 is now available on line.
- The first papers for Annals of Glaciology volume 56, issue 69 are now available on line.
- Online registration and abstract submission is now open for the 2014 IGS Nordic Branch annual meeting. This year the meeting is held in Iceland at a venue close to Mýrdalsjökull. The dates for the meeting are 30 October–1 November.
- Registration is now open for the IGS co-sponsored Claridenfirn-Symposium to be held 22–24 August in Zürich, Switzerland
- It is with great sadness that the IGS reports the death on 27 May of Charles Swithinbank, a past President and an Honorary Member of the Society.
- Online registration and abstract submission is now open for the 2014 IGS British Branch annual meeting and the UK Antarctic Research symposium. The meetings will be held at the Bristol Glaciology Centre, University of Bristol, 8–9 September for the BB meeting, immediately followed by the UK Antarctic symposium on 10–11 September. The online registration and abstract submission for the two meetings are the same.
- The first circular for the IGS sponsored ‘International Symposium on the Hydrology of Glaciers and Ice Sheets’ to be held in Iceland 21–27 June 2015 is now available on line.
Press release from Ice2sea This week, in the Journal of Glaciology, an international group of scientists from 18 nations publish the first globally complete inventory of glaciers on Earth.
- Press release from IRSTEA reports newly published Journal of Glaciology paper ‘Physical and societal statistics for a century of snow avalanche hazards on Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands (1910–2010)’ by Evgeny A. Podolskiy and others. This paper is featured in the current issue of Nature: Qui, J. (2014) Avalanche hotspot revealed. Nature 509(7498), 8 May 2014, 142–143, doi:10.1038/509142a
- Authors can now opt for full ‘Gold Open Access’ for their publications in any IGS journal
- Visit our IGS merchandise page
The International Glaciological Society is registered as a charity in the United Kingdom with the Charity Commissioners, No. 231043.